Friday 12 June 2015

Another WInter Tunic Refashion

A few weeks back I unearthed a box of my old winter clothes, which contained FIVE grey winter tunics.  Most of which had short sleeves, which just isn't very practical for winter.



The first one to get refashioned from that stash of grey was this one above.  
To see how that one turned out check it out here.



But the grey tunic I tackled this week, was this one.

The first step, which I forgot to take a photo of, was cutting 14 inches from the original length of the tunic.



 From the 14 inces I chopped off, I cut 4 seperate pieces from which I would create the sleeves for my re-jigged tunic.



I sewed the four bits together to create two pieces from which I would make the sleeves.

NB: When I sew any fabric that has a bit of stretch, I use a small zigzag stitch as it allows the fabric to continue to have a bit of stretch after it has been sewn.



Then I chopped off the bits with pockets because I didn't want pockets on my arms.



And pinned (and then sewed) the new 'sleeve' pieces onto the old cap sleeves.



Once it was sewn on it looked like this... not quite a sleeve yet.



So I  turned it inside out, then pinned and sewed the edges together to complete my sleeves.



See... sleeves.
And after a bit of finishing off (read zigzagging) of raw edges this tunic was done.



Another tunic to crop top.  This time with sleeves added.

Although I could have, I didn't hem the bottom of the top where I cut length from the original tunic (the raw finish kind of reminded me on one of my favourite tops from the 90's).  Instead, I ran a stitch all the way around the bottom of the top a couple of millimetres up from the raw edge to stop it fraying too far.  



That raw hem is a little wobbly, but I like that it is imperfect.



Sleeves that are now not only long enough to keep my arms warm, but also my hands on a chilly day.


I do like the new style of this top, but I am craving some colour in my winter wardrobe which still seems to have way too much grey and black... Hopefully there will be some some colourful winter refashions in the not too distant future.

Refashioned Tunic: $0 old wardrobe item, Dress: $0 gifted, Boots: Dr Marten from ebay a few years ago, Black Leggings: old wardrobe item.





No comments:

Post a Comment