Saturday 28 March 2015

Topsy Turvey Tunic


I've had this skirt in my stash for a while now.  I love the colour, but the style of the skirt wasn't that interesting.



The back of the skirt had a split in it... and some holes.  I did some mending on these as this split is going to become the back neckline of my new tunic/dress.



After the repairs were complete, I cut along the side seams of the skirt (about a hand length) to create arm holes.  Then I pinned and sewed the back hem to the front hem of the skirt to create the neckline.  I also hemmed up the arm holes - sorry I didn't take enough photos of the steps here, but hopefully it will make sense at the end.



The final step of this refashion was to chop off the elastic waist band, and hem the cut edge as this is to become the hem of my new dress.   And this was this skirt to dress refashion is complete.



I really like this dress worn loose like this, its great for hot days.



It can also be worn with the old waist band used as a belt.



The skirts back split creates a nice low back detail for the dress.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this dress.  I like how it can be dressed up or down, and I think if the weather ever starts to cool down it will layer nicely with winter items.


Dress: $0, hand-me-down.  Accessories: vintage scarf once belonged to my mum, my trusty Pirates Dreaming spoon necklace, and against the advice of my Physio I am back into my Duckfeet sandals.  











No comments:

Post a Comment