Wednesday 14 October 2015

Whimsical Girls Dress

Where have I been?
I've still been taking on lots of projects, I just don't seem to have had the time or the energy to blog about them.  I also broke my last sewing machine needle a couple of weeks back, and didn't manage to get to the shops to buy new ones until yesterday.  But with my new needles, and warmer weather on the way, I thought today would be a good day to tackle a few of the 'summer projects' piling up in my sewing/homeschool room, and actually blog about them.


I picked this strapless womans dress up a couple of weeks ago, thinking it had the potential to be a nice girls dress or skirt.
I decided on a dress.


First port of call was to chop off that shirred elastic.



Then I folded the dress and half and chopped off a bit of fabric to create arm and neck holes.



See, kinda looks like a dress already.



I then hemmed the neck line and sewed the dress together at the two shoulder points.



But it was looking a little too sack like, so I made the 'bodice' part of the dress more fitting by chopping off these bits.



After sewing up those new side seems the arm holes became tiny.  So I made them bigger again by chopping off a bit more fabric before hemming them to finish the dress off.




Maybe this whimsical dress would have been better for my 8 year old.  But Miss 10 needs summer clothes more, and for now is happy enough to humour me and wear it because it is comfy and cool.



Chookies....



Ok I know this photo isn't amazing, unlike mulberry season, which is possibly my favourite season of the year (those are mulberries she is holding in case you were wondering why I was rambling on about mulberries),  but (back to the photo) it does display the finished dress quite well.



Childhood ramblings...
what a wonderful time of year where it isn't to cold and the mosquitos are not yet out in force.



Dress: Thrifted $4

Sorry my fonts are all over the place in this post, Blogger seemed to have a mind of its own today and I don't have the patience to work out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment