Thursday 22 October 2015

Dressing down

Change of seasons always seems to increase my sewing quantity, so hopefully I'll be back on board again with regular posts after a bit of a lull in blogging activity.


This dress is quite something, I don't really have words to describe it...  it was just a little too 'dressy' for me, so my goal was to make it a little more casual .



I started by cutting off the cowl neck.



I then folded and pinned the cut edge inwards, and sewed it in place using a large zigzag stitch.   Some stretchy fabrics get a 'wavy' look when sewn, and I have found that sometimes sewing using a large zigzag stops this.



Then I chopped about 26cm off the hem to shorten the dress a 'midi' length.



After which I folded the cut edge over twice and pinned it in place.



And finished the new hem line off by again sewing with a really large zigzag stitch.



I think I managed to make it a little more casual... what do you think?



... those legs and feet have been without sun for quite some time. 



I also popped a thin black 'sash' around the waist to break the dress up a bit.



Dress: Thrifted $5, all other items I previously owned.

No comments:

Post a Comment