Sunday 30 November 2014

Skirt to Halter Neck Top



Too big thrifted cotton skirt, paired with some fabulous bed hair.



The style was pretty unexciting, and I prefer to wear patterned fabric up top, so my plan was to make this into a top.  I'm thinking a halter neck at this point.



I cut down the side seams.



At the back, I cut off some of the length (to make the back of the top lower), and I also cut some fabric off at the sides.



Then I popped it on my dress form upside down, and wrapped the front skirt 'hem' around the neck and pinned the material together at the back of the neck to work out how I want the neckline to sit.  I also cut off some excess material from each side at the front.



I then sewed the fabric together at the back of the neck - the neck is big enough to just slip this over my head.



And I sewed the sides together.



At which point it was looking something like this.



I thought it was looking pretty good.  But when I tried it on, that waist band looked terrible on me.



So I chopped it off.



After I chopped off the bottom, the hem hung all wonky, but I decided I kind of liked it this way. so I just hemmed it as it was.



This is how it looked when it was finished.  



The neck can be styled a couple of ways.



I chose to wear it crossed over and pinned with my Grandmothers broach.  

Hmmm, looking at these photos I think I got a little sunburnt while I was out and about today :-(.



As the weather was slightly cooler than it has been recently, I was able to team it with this long wrap around skirt I've had for years.

Skirt/top: $4 Lifeline, Skirt: $? Tree of Life.








No comments:

Post a Comment