Friday 28 August 2015

VINTAGE

Depending on when you were born, 'vintage' can mean something very different from person to person.  I've heard reference to 'vintage 90's' recently, while another person I spoke to this week was referencing the 1950s as vintage.... For me 'vintage' generally refers to anything pre-1980s, however, I have developed a bit of a soft spot for some 1980's fashion thanks to watching an obscure Bananarama video on Youtube a while back.


Hence me jumping on this 'vintage' 1980s skirt when I saw it for $2.50 a little while back.


However, this weeks dress alteration project is a cosy winter vintage frock that I suspect is from the 1970s.


How could I pass this up?  It's the winter colour I was hankering for a few months back.



Alright, my 10 year old had a point when she told me it looked like a nightie, and asked if I was wearing it to bed the night we took these before photos

Despite this, my plan was not to 'refashion' the dress. I loved it just the way it was, I just wanted to alter it so that it fit me better.



So I started by unpicking the sleeves.



Then I marked and pinned the sides before creating new side seams...



...by sewing along the chalk lines.



Once I had done this I chopped off the excess fabric.

I also took a little fabric from the seams that ran down the middle at the front and back of the dress - these are the offcuts sitting on the ground below the dress.



I also wanted the shoulder seams to sit correctly, so after taking the sides in, I cut these bits of fabric from the arm holes...



...before reattaching the sleeves.



After which I took in the sleeves.



You can see here that I tried a few times before getting the sleeves a width I was happy with.



And thats how simple it was to alter this frumpy vintage frock.



I love the matching belt and stripe detail on this dress.



Alas, with spring on our doorstep this dress will have to be put away until next winter.

Ohhh, look, before and after shoe/dress combo exactly the same.

Dress: thrifted $8, Shoes: Dr Martens ebay (a couple of years ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment