Sunday 19 July 2015

Shrunken Jumper Upcycle

After my late birthday present last week, I've felt inspired to do a few decorating type projects to make my house feel a bit more homely.



I started with this jumper, which I bought from a yard sale in the middle of summer for about $5.  A couple of weeks ago I chucked it in the wash, and it changed from a large comfy oversize knitted top, into a felted top too small to fit over my head.    


  
So I decided to make it into a cover for this old Ikea cushion.



I chopped off the sleeves and the bottom of the top.



Then I chopped open the neck line so I could sew the zip into this edge.



I bought the zip from Lincraft for $1.75, and pinned it to one side like this.



Then I sewed it in place using a zipper foot on my sewing machine.



And repeated this process on the other side.



When it was sewn in, it looked like this.



Because this 'felted' knit was kind of stretchy, rather than just measure the cushion and cut the fabric to fit, I pinned it around to cushion to work out where the seam opposite the zipper would fit.  This way I would ensure the cushion cover would have a nice snug fit.



To finish up the cushion cover I repeated this process when sewing the two end seams too.  
When inside out like it is here, it looks a little wobbly, but once it was turned in the other way it fit the cushion nice and snuggly.



And lookie here, I have a one of a kind cushion.



It looks ever so slightly different turned up the other way ;-).



And with the off cuts I made this beanie for my hubby....



And this one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment